Sunday, December 7, 2008

3 AM Thoughts

In 10th grade English, I read Ray Bradbury's "Something Wicked This Way Comes." In the book the hour of 3 AM was used as a symbol for all the evil and mischievousness that occurs in the early hours of the day. Well last night, Annie decided she only needed 5 hours of sleep and wanted to play from 2 - 4 AM and for some reason I am always left with the short end of the stick and it's my job to stay up with her. I brought Annie downstairs and sat her on my lap and turned on the telly. I'm not one that usually will watch Bill Moyers on PBS, scratch that, I've never watched Bill Moyers on PBS, but last night's program was amazing and I write this so that those 5 people that visit our blog, can experience the beautiful, uplifting joys of music that he featured on his show. This video is from a documentary project called "Playing for Change" (www.playingforchange.org) where a film crew recorded street musicans from around the world all playing the same influencial songs (catch the double meaning in the title??). Watch it and share it with some one.



I absolutely love Grandpa Elliott who I understand is still a central figure in the French Quarter. Roger Ridley I learned past away in 2006 but his street performances attacked hundreds of people in California. Clarence Bekker is also known by the name C. B. Milton and was a popular European singer in the early 90s for the group "The Swingin Soul Machine." And my favorite was Vusi Mahlasela. After I heard his voice I knew I had heard it before. With a little searching I realized he sang with Josh Groban's newest album in a song about the South Aftrican Aparthied called "Weeping." This second song is Bob Marley's "One Love."


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing this :) I LOVE IT, maybe I will have to get up at 2:00am and watch!

kel said...

Hey Coralee and Brant! (Kelly [Anderson] Casteel here.) It's been a while, huh? I just stumbled across your blog and wanted to tell you that I love it... the picture slideshow of Annie & Memphis on the side & your top 5 lists... very cool.

Your daughter looks like an angel! I sat here for a looong time watching all the videos of her. She's just mesmerizing.

And lastly, Brant, those music videos were really moving. It sounds like a really neat organization. I wish I had seen the Bill Moyers show about it. Thanks for sharing, and thanks to Annie for waking you up in time to watch it. ;)

It looks like you guys are doing great. I wish you lots of happiness this holiday, and no more getting sick!